- As an Assistant U.S. Attorney and subsequent promotions to Chief of the Commercial Litigation Unit and Deputy Chief of the Civil Division of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York, was appointed by the FDA as lead counsel in litigation to enjoin the manufacture of adulterated generic drugs in the landmark case United States v. Barr Laboratories, Inc., 812 F. Supp. 458 (D.N.J. 1993)
- Lead counsel in Boilermakers National Annuity Trust Fund v. WaMu Mortgage Pass Through Certificates, No. 09-cv-00037 (W.D. Wash.), the WaMu RMBS Section 11 Securities Act case which settled after plaintiffs succeeded in defeating the defendants’ motion for summary judgment, only weeks before it was scheduled to proceed to a jury trial
- Ms. Kaswan in In the Matter of the Application of The Bank of New York Mellon, Index No. 651786/2011 (N.Y. Supr. Ct.) successfully challenged the proposed settlement between Bank of New York Mellon and Bank of America to resolve repurchase and servicing claims for 530 Countrywide trusts.
- Ms. Kaswan and others at Scott+Scott recently settled federal and state law claims against the Securitization Trustees for WaMu and Bear Stearns Trusts in Policemen’s Annuity and Benefit Fund of the City of Chicago v. Bank of America, N.A., No. 12-cv-2865 (S.D.N.Y.) and Oklahoma Police Pension and Retirement System v. U.S. Bank N.A., No. 11-cv-8066 (S.D.N.Y.), respectively
- Brought a derivative suit on behalf of New York University against Ezra Merkin to freeze funds belonging to a feeder fund to Bernard Madoff
- Lead counsel to another shareholder derivative case, Carfagno v. Schnitzer, No. 08-CV-912-SAS (S.D.N.Y.), where she successfully negotiated a settlement on behalf of Centerline Holding Company and Centerline shareholders
- Lead counsel in Cornwell v. Credit Suisse Group, No. 08-cv-3758 (S.D.N.Y.) and In re Tetra Technologies, Inc. Securities Litigation, No. 08-cv-0965 (S.D. Tex.), among others
- Member of the New York and Massachusetts Bars
- Began career as an accountant at Peat, Marwick, Mitchell & Co.
- Civil trial attorney at the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington, D.C.
- Recipient of several awards from the Justice Department and other agencies, including the Justice Department’s John Marshall award, Special Commendation from the Attorney General, a Superior Performance award from the Executive Office of U.S. Attorneys and Tax Division Outstanding Achievement awards