Thomas Laughlin’s practice focuses on securities class action, shareholder derivative, ERISA and other complex commercial litigation.
- Cornwell v. Credit Suisse, No. 08-3758 (S.D.N.Y.) (securities settlement of $70 million); and Rubenstein v. Oilsands Quest Inc., No. 11-1288 (S.D.N.Y.) (securities settlement of $10.235 million)
- Plymouth County Contributory Ret. Sys. v. Hassan, No. 08-1022 (D.N.J.) (corporate governance reform); and Garcia v. Carrion, No. 09-1507 (D.P.R.) (corporate governance reform)
- Significant appellate experience, having represented clients in connection with several appellate victories, including Cottrell v. Duke, 737 F.3d 1238 (8th Cir. 2013); Westmoreland County Employee Retir. Sys. v. Parkinson, 727 F.3d 719 (7th Cir. 2013); Pfeil v. State Street Bank and Trust Co., 671 F.3d 585 (6th Cir. 2012); and King v. VeriFone Holdings, Inc., 12 A.3d 1140 (Del. Supr. 2011)
- Co-chair of a 13-day bench trial in Bankers’ Bank Northeast v. Berry, Dunn, McNeil & Parker, LLC, No. 12-cv-00127 (D. Me.).
- Represented a consortium of 10 community banks asserting negligence and professional malpractice claims against the former officers and directors of a bank and its auditor in connection with an $18 million loan made to that bank in September 2008. Conducted the cross-examination of all three witnesses from the defendant’s auditing firm and the direct examination of plaintiff’s auditing expert. The parties to the action succeeded in resolving the action after trial.
- Member of the New York Bar
- Admitted to practice in the Southern District of New York and the Eastern District of New York
- New York University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2005)
- Yale University (B.A. History, cum laude, 2001)
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Irma E. Gonzalez, United States District Court Judge for the Southern District of California