Tom Southwell has represented individuals, corporate clients and financial institutions in international commercial arbitration proceedings under the rules of the major arbitral institutions and before all levels of the English Courts. Before joining Scott+Scott, Tom was a member of the International Arbitration group at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom (UK) LLP, in London.
- Acted for a consortium of Middle Eastern oil and gas companies in several multi-billion dollar LCIA arbitrations concerning the exploitation of oil and gas assets in Iraq
- Represented parties in a joint venture in relation to a multi-jurisdictional dispute concerning a put option right and various other claims totalling in excess of $500 million arising out of the operation of a large Eastern European machine-building enterprise
- Advised an international investment bank in connection with multi-billion dollar claims in the US and England arising from the subprime mortgage crisis
- Acted for ATK Energy EU Ltd (formerly EnergySolutions EU Limited) in proceedings concerning the company’s successful challenge to a public procurement in relation to the decommissioning of the Magnox nuclear sites in the U.K.
- Represented Interbrew Central European Holding BV in its successful €120 million High Court claim against Starbev LP in relation to an earn-out following the sale of a major European brewing business
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England & Wales
- The Law Society of England and Wales
- The International Bar Association
- The London Court of International Arbitration
- Legal Practice Course, Nottingham Law School, 2004
- LL.B., University of Manchester, 2003