- American Antitrust Institute – Outstanding Antitrust Litigation Achievement (2018)
- American Antitrust Institute – Recognized for exemplary work (2014)
- Burke was one of the original lawyers in the Wholesale Elec. Antitrust cases in California, which settled for over $1 billion.
- Recognized by Super Lawyers (2014-2020)
- Named to the LawDragon 500 Lead Plaintiff Lawyer list (2020, 2021)
Mr. Burke currently sits as a partner in the Firm’s San Diego and New York offices with a principal practice in complex antitrust litigation, particularly in the financial services industry. He has served as lead counsel in some of the world’s largest financial services antitrust matters.
Mr. Burke frequently lectures at professional conferences and CLEs on competition matters, including litigation surrounding financial benchmarks, class-barring arbitration clauses, the effects of Twombly in 12(b)(6) motions, and the increasing use of experts at class certification and trial.
Mr. Burke has also served as an Assistant Attorney General at the Wisconsin Department of Justice and has lectured on law-related topics, including constitutional law, law and politics, and civil rights at the State University of New York at Buffalo and at the University of Wisconsin.
Mr. Burke’s book, The Appearance of Equality: Racial Gerrymandering, Redistricting, and the Supreme Court (Greenwood, 1999), examines conflicts over voting rights and political representation within the competing rhetoric of communitarian and liberal strategies of justification. Mr. Burke co-authored an article with Stephanie A. Hackett, David W. Mitchell, Simon J. Wilke, Melanie Stallings Williams, Michael A. Williams, and Wei Zhao, Masters of the Universe: Bid Rigging by Private Equity Firms in Multibillion Dollar LBOs, 87 U. Cin. L. Rev. 29 (2018).
- In re GSE Bonds Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 19-cv-01704 (S.D.N.Y.) ($386.5 million settlement)
- In re Foreign Exchange Benchmark Rates Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 13-cv-7789 (S.D.N.Y.)
($2.3 billion settlement)
- In re Disposable Contact Lens Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 3:15-md-2626 (M.D. Fla.)
- Alaska Electrical Pension Fund v. Bank of America Corp., MDL No. 14-cv-7126 (S.D.N.Y)
($504.5 million settlement)
- Dahl v. Bain Capital Partners, MDL No. 07-cv-12388 (D. Mass.) ($590.5 million settlement)
- Axiom Investment Advisors, LLC, by and through its Trustee, Gildor Management LLC v. Barclays Bank PLC, MDL No. 15-cv-09323 (S.D.N.Y.) ($50 million settlement)
- In re Currency Conversion Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 1409 (S.D.N.Y.) ($336 million settlement)
- In re Payment Card Interchange Fee & Merchant Discount Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 1720 (E.D.N.Y.) (up to $6.24 billion settlement)
- LiPuma v. American Express Co., 1:04-cv-20314 (S.D. Fla.) ($90 million settlement)
- Was one of the trial counsel in Schwartz v. Visa, 822505-4 (Alameda Cty. Super. Ct.)
($780 million plaintiff’s judgment after six months of trial)
- In re Disposable Contact Lens Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 1030 (M.D. Fla.) ($90 million settlement with final settlements occurring during trial)
- Was trial counsel in Ross v. Bank of America N.A., 05-cv-7116, MDL No. 1409 (S.D.N.Y.)
- Ross v. American Express Co., 04-cv-5723, MDL No. 1409 (S.D.N.Y.)
- In re Korean Air Lines Co., Ltd. Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 1891 (C.D. Cal.) ($86 million settlement)
- In re Prudential Ins. Co. of America SGLI/VGLI Contract Litig., 11-md-2208 (D. Mass.) ($40 million settlement)
Mr. Burke also investigated and filed the first complaint in In re Credit Default Swaps Antitrust Litig., No. 13-md-2476 (S.D.N.Y.)