- Vargas has been involved in several high-profile securities fraud cases, including one where he served as the principal investigator in connection with a 14-year litigation, resulting in the largest securities fraud settlement following a trial; a record $1.575 billion recovery in Jaffe v. Household Int’l, Inc., No. 02-C-05893 (N.D. Ill.).
- In 2019, Mr. Vargas was named to Lawdragon’s prestigious list of 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers.
Mr. Vargas is based in the Firm’s New York office and heads up our investigation department. He conducts and oversees investigations across all practice groups. Mr. Vargas has devoted over a decade of his career investigating claims on behalf of institutional investors and other stakeholders in the class action arena.
- Styleform IT v. Facebook, Inc., et al., CGC-18-571075 (Cal. Super. Ct. S.F. Cty.) (2018)
- In re GSE Bonds Antitrust Litig., No. 1:19-cv-01704 (S.D.N.Y.) ($386.5 million settlement)
- In re Cattle Antitrust Litig., No. 19-cv-1222-JRT-HB (D. Minn.)
- In re Foreign Exchange Benchmark Rates Antitrust Litig., No. 1:13-cv-07789 (S.D.N.Y.)
($2.3 billion settlement)
- Putman Bank v. Intercontinental Exchange, Inc., No 1:19-cv-00439 (S.D.N.Y.)
- Banerjee v. Avinger, Inc., No. 4:17-cv-03400 (N.D. Cal.) ($5 million settlement)
- Union Asset Management Holding AG v. SanDisk LLC, No. 3:15-cv-01455-VC (N.D. Cal.) ($50 million settlement)
- In re LendingClub Corp. Shareholder Litig., No. CIV537300 (Cal. Super. Ct., San Mateo Cty) ($125 million settlement)
- In re EndoChoice Holdings, Inc. Securities Litig., No. 2016-CV-277772 (Sup. Court, Fulton Cty., GA) ($8.5 million settlement)
- In re MobileIron, Inc. Shareholder Litig., No. 1-15-cv-284001 (Cal. Super. Ct., Santa Clara Cty.) ($7.5 million settlement)
- Rubenstein v. Oilsands Quest Inc., No. 11-cv-288 (S.D.N.Y.) ($10.2 million settlement)
Consumer and Data Breach:
- In re Equifax, Inc. Customer Data Security Breach Litig., No. 1:17-cmd-2800 (N.D. Ga.) ($32.5 million settlement)
- In re Pacific Coast Oil Trust Sec. Litig., No. BC550418 (Cal. Sup. Ct., Los Angeles Cty.) ($7.6 million settlement)
- Greater Chautauqua Federal Credit Union v. Kmart Corp., No. 15-cv-2228 (N.D. Ill.) ($5.2 million settlement)
- WinSouth Credit Union v. MAPCO Express, Inc., No. 14-cv-1573 (M.D. Tenn.) (largest dollar-per-card settlement obtained on behalf of financial institutions involving data breach of credit and debit card information)
- First Choice Fed. Credit Union v. The Wendy’s Co., No. 2:16-cv-00506 (W.D. Pa.) ($50 million settlement)