Tom Southwell is a partner in the Firm’s London office. Mr. Southwell specialises in international arbitration and litigation. He has represented individuals, corporate clients, and financial institutions in arbitration proceedings under the rules of the major arbitral institutions and before all levels of the English Courts.
Mr. Southwell’s expertise is in the extractives, energy and financial services sectors, and in relation to disputes arising out of share sale transactions, joint ventures, and civil fraud.
Before joining Scott+Scott, Mr. Southwell was a member of the International Litigation and Arbitration group at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom (UK) LLP, in London.
- Representing investors in an investment treaty claim relating to the exploitation of a large mine in Eastern Europe
- Acting for the Claimant, Vadim Benyatov, in a claim against his former employee, Credit Suisse, relating to losses suffered by Mr Benyatov while working for the bank in Romania – Vadim Don Benyatov v Credit Suisse Securities (Europe) Limited, Claim No. QB-2018-001043 (The Lawyer’s and Law360’s “Top 20” cases to watch in 2020 and 2021)
- Acting for the child Claimant in a representative action against TikTok and other companies in the ByteDance group arising from breaches of English and European data protection law
REPRESENTATIVE CASES AT PRIOR FIRMS:
- Representing a consortium of Middle Eastern oil and gas companies in several multi-billion dollar LCIA arbitrations concerning the exploitation of oil and gas assets in Iraq
- Representing parties in a joint venture in relation to a multi-jurisdictional dispute arising out of the operation of a large Eastern European machine-building enterprise
- Representing a consortium of oil and gas companies in a dispute with their joint venture partners relating to the development of a major gas project