- Part of the team that filed the Foreign Exchange claim in the Competition Appeal Tribunal in July 2019 – one of the first collective actions in the UK
- Part of the team that drafted the legal section of the Study on the Passing-on of Overcharges for the European Commission
- Regularly publishes on competition matters
- Professional proficiency in Spanish
James Hain-Cole is located in the Firm’s London office and specialises in competition damages litigation. With extensive experience advising on multijurisdictional antitrust matters, he advises numerous international clients on their potential to claim damages arising from anticompetitive conduct and works with them to design an effective strategy to compensate them for losses arising from such conduct. This experience extends to both individual claims and collective actions before the UK’s courts and tribunals. He also has experience in sports and commercial arbitration, as well as general commercial litigation.
Prior to working with Scott+Scott, Mr. Hain-Cole spent two and a half years at Cuatrecasas in Madrid, where he advised on competition damages claims before the courts of Spain, England and Italy. Prior to that, Mr. Hain-Cole spent six years in the London office of Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP, where he advised clients in some of the leading competition damages before the English courts and tribunals. He also acted for a major financial institution in competition law investigations before the European Commission and other competition regulators worldwide, including in North America and Asia.
- Acting for Clare Spottiswoode CBE in a collective action before the Competition Appeal Tribunal on behalf of domestic electricity consumers arising from the Power Cables Cartel
- Acting for a professional boxer in sports arbitration proceedings with his former manager arising out of alleged breaches of the boxer-manager agreement
- Michael O’Higgins FX Class Representative Limited in a CRA claim in the Competition Appeal Tribunal arising from the FX Cartels
- Acting for the child Claimant in a representative action against TikTok and other companies in the ByteDance group arising from breaches of English and European data protection law
REPRESENTATIVE CASES AT PRIOR FIRMS:
- Deutsche Bahn AG and others v Morgan Advanced Materials Plc
- Cooper Tire and Rubber Company Europe Ltd and others v. Dow Deutschland Inc and others
- Represented various corporations in competition damages litigation – including in relation to the Paraffin Wax, Synthetic Rubber and Carbon and Graphite Products cartels – before the English courts and the Competition Appeal Tribunal
- Has advised a major financial institution in relation to the EURIBOR and LIBOR benchmark investigations before the major European, US and Asian competition authorities