- Legal 500 (2020): “Robert Verburg is an individual that stands out: his practical approach, paired with his knowledge and experience from also being a judge makes him a perfect lawyer for the dispute resolution practice. He combines both his worlds in the advice given and approach taken.”
- Before joining Scott + Scott Robert worked 15 years for international UK-based law firms.
- Robert obtained his doctorate in law at Leiden University, the Netherlands in 2009.
Robert Verburg is a partner in the Firm’s Amsterdam office, with over 20 years of experience in the field of law, specialising in financial and commercial litigation. He focusses on collective actions and other complex cross border litigation. Robert advises and acts for national and foreign clients, predominantly from the financial and industrial sectors. Robert publishes peer-reviewed articles on various topics in the field of civil procedural law, the law on damages and contract law and frequently acts as a Court of Appeal judge in the Court of Appeal Arnhem-Leeuwarden.
- Advising a client on the scope of a high profile, court approved binding settlement with regard to flawed financial products sold by a Dutch bank.
- Advising a foreign client on joining a class action against an industrial company.
- Acting for former directors of Luxembourg securitisation vehicles in a directors’ liability claim brought by a disgruntled investor in the Netherlands against them and 14 co-defendants.
- Representing a purchaser in a post M&A arbitration dispute with sellers over warranties issued.
- Advising a European financial institution in relation to the bankruptcy of a European technical services provider in the fields of electrical solutions, ICT and mechanical solutions.
- Advising a European financial institution regarding breaches of a software financing contract.
- Acting for a world player in chemical products in a dispute concerning company secrets and unfair competition.
- Acting for a European bank in a case brought before the English court by a housing association in connection with derivative transactions (swaps).
- Acting for a U.S. bank in a collective damages action / prospectus liability case relating to a EUR 13 billion rights issue in connection with the financing of Fortis’ part of the ABN-AMRO acquisition.
- Acting for investors in the aftermath of the bankruptcy of the Russian oil company Yukos Oil, which bought a substantial part of the bankruptcy estate of Yukos Oil in 2007.
Robert is admitted to the Dutch bar and has registered a specialization in litigation (burgerlijk procesrecht). On the basis of the registration it is required to obtain ten training credits per calendar year in each registered principal legal practice area in accordance with the standards set by the Netherlands Bar.