- Clerked for the Honorable Irma E. Gonzalez, United States District Court Judge for the Southern District of California.
Mr. Laughlin is a partner in the Firm’s New York office and focuses on securities class action, shareholder derivative, ERISA and other complex commercial litigation.
In 2014, Mr. Laughlin was co-chair of a 13-day bench trial in Bankers’ Bank Northeast v. Berry, Dunn, McNeil & Parker, LLC, No. 12-cv-00127 (D. Me.). He represented a consortium of 10 community banks asserting negligence and professional malpractice claims against the former officers and directors of a bank and its auditor in connection with an $18 million loan made to that bank in September 2008. Among other things, Mr. Laughlin conducted the cross-examination of all three witnesses from the defendant’s auditing firm and the direct examination of plaintiff’s auditing expert. The parties to the action succeeded in resolving the action after trial.
- Cornwell v. Credit Suisse, No. 08-3758 (S.D.N.Y.) ($70 million securities settlement)
- In re SanDisk LLC Securities Litig., No. 3:15-CV-01455-VC (N.D. Cal.) ($50 million securities settlement)
- Weston v. RCS Capital Corp., No. 1:14-cv-10136-GBD (S.D.N.Y.) ($31 million securities settlement)
- In re King Digital Entertainment plc Shareholder Litig., No. CGC-15-544770 (Cal. Super. Ct. San Francisco Cty.) ($18.5 million securities settlement)
- Rubenstein v. Oilsands Quest Inc., No. 11-1288 (S.D.N.Y.) ($10.235 million securities settlement)
Mr. Laughlin also has significant appellate experience, having represented clients in connection with several appellate victories, including:
- Cottrell v. Duke, 737 F.3d 1238 (8th Cir. 2013)
- Westmoreland County Employee Retirement Sys. v. Parkinson, 727 F.3d 719 (7th Cir. 2013)
- Pfeil v. State Street Bank and Trust Co., 671 F.3d 585 (6th Cir. 2012)
- King v. VeriFone Holdings, Inc., 12 A.3d 1140 (Del. Supr. 2011).