- Super Lawyers “Rising Star”
- Legal Aid Society Pro Bono Service Award
Max Schwartz is a partner in the Firm’s New York office and focuses on complex civil litigation, often involving financial products and services. He also counsels investment firms and institutional investors on strategies to enhance returns, or recoup losses, through a variety of legal actions.
Following the financial crisis, Mr. Schwartz served as lead counsel in several cases that set important precedents regarding mortgage-backed securities. He argued the first cases to find that securitization trustees must seek to have defective mortgages repurchased from MBS trusts.
These efforts recently led to the recovery of $69 million for investors in Washington Mutual MBS and $6 million for investors in Bear Stearns MBS.
In addition, Mr. Schwartz has advised clients in antitrust matters ranging from pharmaceuticals to precious metals and has advised companies seeking merger review before a number of regulatory agencies.
- Policemen’s Annuity and Benefit Fund of the City of Chicago v. Bank of America, NA,
No. 1:12-cv-2865 (S.D.N.Y.)
- Oklahoma Police Pension and Retirement System v. U.S. Bank National Association,
No. 1:11-cv-8066 (S.D.N.Y.)
- In re SanDisk LLC Sec. Litig., No. 15-cv-01455 (N.D. Cal.) ($50 million settlement)
- Nicholas Schorsch and RCS Capital Corp.
- Weston v. RCS Capital Corp., No. 1:14-cv-10136 (S.D.N.Y.)
- Dahl v. Bain Capital Partners, LLC, No. 1:07-cv-12388 (D. Mass.) ($590.5 million settlement)